This section gives an overview of some of the specialised resource types available through QUT Library.
Research methodology Top
- Sage Research Methods Online contains book, journal and reference content to help researchers design research projects, understand methods or identify a new method, conduct their research, and write up their findings. Focusing on methodology, it can be used across the social sciences, health sciences, and other disciplines.
Oxford Reference Online is a searchable database which brings together over two million entries from Oxford Dictionaries, Encyclopaedias and Companions.
QUT Library has access to newspapers from around the world. Newspapers provide data on public opinion, trends, and government policy directions.
- PressReader offers a full-colour, full-page collection of today's newspapers from around the world and a 60 day archive of newspaper issues.
- Factiva provides up-to-date full text newspapers from many countries, in a number of languages.
Magazines and trade journals Top
Popular magazines can point to current trends and the cultural impact of research. QUT Library subscribes to magazines for researchers in all faculties, including The London Review of Books, Newsweek, Time Magazine, Vogue and Rolling Stone.
Trade journals keep up with practical developments in a field and may lead you to new paths of enquiry. Publications like Monument (Architecture), IT Professional (Information Technology) all report the cutting edge advancements in their areas.
Conference papers provide a timely means of disseminating fast-breaking research. Due to their immediacy, they are more important to certain disciplines than others. A number of databases contain conference papers that report on recent research, work in process, as well as commentary on industry trends. Keep in mind that preliminary findings may not have been through rigorous testing or peer review processes.
Databases which index conferences include IEEE Digital Library, PsycEXTRA, and Web of Science. To find others go to QUT Library Databases and specialised search tools page search with the keyword conference.
QUT Library has collections of videos.
- Trove Australian music, photos and films.
- British Pathé contains British films from 1896 to 1976.
- The Internet Archive has texts, moving images, audio, software and archived web pages from 1996. It features a Live Music Archive with the performances of thousands of artists.
Business databases Top
Business databases include industry reports, country economic data and national statistics, bonds, equities, mergers and acquisitions, property economics, mutual funds, and datasets of ticker data.
- ABI/Inform Global (via ProQuest) is one of the largest databases in the world covering information related to business.
- Orbis contains information on private and public companies worldwide.
- Osiris contains information on publicly listed companies worldwide and forecasting information.
- Morningstar Direct contains investment information for sector analysis, performance evaluation, investment selection, and portfolio creation. Large amounts of this quantitative data can be downloaded and manipulated.
Forecasting tools Top
Financial forecasting databases include Osiris.
- MarketLine Advantage 'Market Analytics' has market forecasting data.
- EIU CountryData for economic forecasting
- Worth Global Style Network (WGSN) for fashion and design forecasting
Evidence-based databases health resources Top
Health evidence based databases include systematic reviews, critically appraised resources, randomised controlled trials and case studies.
- The Cochrane Library provides independent high-quality evidence for health care decision making.
QUT Library has a range of statistics databases which include country, economic, financial, health, industry and market statistics. QUT Library also has access to opinion polls and survey results.
- ABS Statistics (Australian Bureau of Statistics Data) has information on building and construction, crime and justice, demography, education, finance, environment, health, indigenous statistics, trade, social statistics.
Property databases Top
Property Investment Professional is an Australian property investment research service.
- CoreLogic (RP Data) contains property information services for Australia and New Zealand.
Geographic Information Systems Top
Geographic Information Systems (GIS) represent complex analyses of geographical data in a highly visual style.
- eBimap2 is the Brisbane City Council's online mapping service for urban planning and design providing Brisbane land, property and assets information.
Patent and standards fulltext databases Top
- AusPat contains patents from Australia.
- Patent Lens contains worldwide patents.
- Scopus Patent Search
- SAI Global - Standards On-Line Premium provides access to the complete collection of current Australian Standards, and recent Draft Standards and handbooks.
Education databases Top
- ERIC is the largest education literature database in the world.
- Scootle provides teachers and education students with access to digital resources aligned to the Australian Curriculum.
Law databases Top
Law databases contain primary resources including caselaw and legislation for Australian and international jurisdictions, as well as legal commentary and reference tools.
- Lexis Advance Pacificprovides online access to Australian legal materials published by LexisNexis Butterworths.
- Westlaw AU includes legal research titles as well as looseleaf services, full text journals published by Thomson Reuters, law reports and unreported judgments.
Historical government information is found in state, federal or local council archives.
- Queensland State Archives manages, preserves and facilitates public access to the state's permanent archival public records.
- The John Oxley Library of the State Library of Queensland contains Queensland cultural and heritage resources. It also collects all books published in Queensland.
Databases contain a wide range of resources including documents, images, videos, statistics, dictionaries, eBooks, datasets, legal resources, business and research methodologies. Use QUT subscription databases, free databases and other Library databases for your research.
If after completing this section you'd like more advice on databases for your research, talk to your Liaison Librarian or ask us for help. You may also let your librarian know if there are additional databases you would like QUT Library to acquire for your research.