Module 8: Knowledge check
Your data management strategy (15 marks)
- Describe your data. Include the format and scope of your research data [See Module 8.1].
E.g. Activity = your collection method or research activity e.g. a focus group; data collected in a focus group might include video footage in .mpeg, transcription in .pdf, thematic analysis done in NVivo in .npv. Include information about how much data (ie the scope), you will collect.
- Outline your plans to securely store and back-up your data [See Module 8.3]
- Identify and discuss three types of contextual information (metadata) that help to make data F.A.I.R. [See Module 8.3 and Module 8.5].
E.g. Types of metadata include descriptive, rights etc.
- Discuss the administrative, commercial, legal and/or ethical considerations related to storing and sharing research data.
E.g. accurate description of data, file format, data structures, storage location, etc. Documenting conditions such as: ownership, copyright, re-use licence conditions. Also privacy and access control considerations.
- Identify how long your data is legally required to be retained after completion of your research project/thesis. Refer to the Data retention obligations and provide your reasoning as to how this applies to your research data. [See Module 8.6]
Consult the relevant section in the ‘Guidelines for the Management of Research Data at QUT’.
Answer the resource log question for Module 8: Managing data.